Jeweled Brown Basmati Rice & Rainbow Quinoa
Author: Tara Milhem
- 1 cup Brown Basmati Rice, soaked in cold water
- 1 cup Rainbow Quinoa, soaked in cold water
- 4 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 4 cups Water, boiling
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1 cup Dried Apricots, minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- ½ cup Sliced Almonds, toasted
- ½ cup Pistachios, toasted and chopped
- ½ tsp Saffron, steeped in 1 tbsp hot water
- Pomegranate Seeds, for garnish
- Drain the rice and quinoa and rinse under cold water. Heat a medium stockpot over low heat and add the rice and quinoa, 1.5 tablespoons of the oil, and a pinch of salt. Sauté the grains, stirring often to prevent sticking for about 5 minutes until dry and fragrant. Add the boiling water and return to a boil; turn down the heat to very low and cook, covered, for 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the grains rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While the grains cook, heat a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion in the remaining oil for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the apricots, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom. Cook for about 5 minutes, until heated through. Reserve half of the pistachios and almonds for garnish, and add the rest of the nuts to the skillet. Season with salt, and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the fruit and nuts with the grains and drizzle in the saffron. Season with salt. Garnish with the remaining nuts and the pomegranate seeds.
Adapted from The New Persian Kitchen