I’m sure by now you have heard of the most popular grain of the year, quinoa (pronounced keen-wa)! Contrary to popular belief quinoa is actually a seed, with a ton of benefits for your waistline and wallet!
Low in calories and fat
Absorbs flavor perfectly
Rich in Fiber, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron, and more…
1. Rinse. Always rinse quinoa before cooking to wash off the saponins to avoid a bitter quinoa. Rinse 1 cup of quinoa until the water is clear.
2. Season. Sprinkle 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. coriander, and ½ tsp. of cayenne pepper onto the rinsed and drained quinoa until well coated.
3. Pour. Take one cup of quinoa and a little less than two cups of water or vegetable broth and pour it into a pot.
4. Boil. Bring everything to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Big important tip: Don’t open the lid!
5. Wait. If you’re impatient like me, this part is going to kill you! Once the 15 minutes have passed turn the stove off and without opening the lid let the quinoa sit for about 3-5 minutes.
6. Finally, open it up. Mmmm… The aroma of spices and beautifully cooked quinoa should fill up your kitchen. Do not use a spoon. I repeat do not use a spoon. Take a fork and lightly fluff the quinoa.
What’s your favorite way to eat quinoa? Tell me below