You know that feeling when you know you really like something (enter quinoa), but when it comes down to making it you’re overwhelmed by all of the options. Well this is me when it comes to two things, quinoa and kale. Between Google, Pinterest, and Instagram, I literally can’t choose a recipe! It gets me every time, but this week I decided to call it quits and make this Quinoa, Black Bean, and Mango Salad from The Best Mexican Recipes cookbook. I don’t know about Mexican, but I do know that this was a major win over at TheWholeTara.
Recipe adapted from America’s Test Kitchen The Best Mexican Recipes
Like this recipe? Tweet it to your friends.
- 1½ cups prewashed white quinoa
- 2¼ cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 5 Tbsp lime juice (3 limes)
- ½ jalapeño chile, chopped
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 scallion, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Toast quinoa in large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, until quinoa makes popping sound, around 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in water and ½ tsp salt and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water has been mostly absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Process lime juice, jalapeño, cumin, and 1 tsp salt in blender until jalapeño is finely chopped, about 15 seconds. Add oil and cilantro and process until smooth.
- Add bell pepper, mango, beans, scallions, and dressing to cooled quinoa and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and top with avocado.