Come on, no one wakes up to a blizzard excited to work out. Or at least I didn’t used to! Trekking to the gym through piles of snow and taking off 6 layers of clothes really doesn’t get me excited about hitting the gym, but lucky for us north easterners there’s an upside to the cold weather too! Being able to embrace the outdoors is key to staying active during the chilly months. Below I’ve got 5 essential ways to get active outside this season!
1. Go ice skating! This is my absolute favorite winter activity in New York City. Ice skating outdoors is the ultimate winter pick-me-up, plus it can work up a major sweat. I’ll definitely be hitting up Rockefeller Center this year!
2. Layer up for your run. Just because it’s cold out doesn’t mean that you can’t suit up and go for a run. The wind chill may even be a bigger motivator for you to want to break a sweat quicker than usual. The key here is making sure that you’re dressed right for the weather. I’m a huge fan of my Turbodown jacket from Columbia made especially for the active winter adventurer. It has a combination of synthetic insulation and goose down, so it’s super light and provides a ton of warmth and heat retention. Oh, and it’s super fashionable too! 5K here I come.
3. Take up a winter sport. I’m a big fan of hitting the slopes whenever I get the chance. Whether that means a few trips a season or just one time a year, I’m a happy girl when I’m on the mountains. It has been forever, but skiing and snowboarding are such great exercises and you get to do it with your fam and friends. It’s an entire experience that can’t be missed, even if you’re a beginner.
4. Build a snowman. Maybe a little cliche, but so much fun! Get outside and build a snowman. This winter activity burns a lot more energy than you think and you get to enjoy the change of seasons. I definitely never saw that growing up in Miami!
5. Go for a walk. OK this may sound boring, but I promise it’s everything but. Sometimes a walk with your iPod and furry boots is all you need to de-stress and get your heart pumping. Now you don’t want to slip and fall on your walk, so make sure that you stock up on some thermal boots. They don’t need to look like “thermal boots” though, whatever that sounds like. My recommendation is Columbia’s Minx Boot. These are literally like a jacket for your feet. They’re light, waterproof, and insulated. Win-win!
Now you have absolutely no excuse not to stay fit allll year round. Now I want to hear from you…
What’s your favorite way to stay active during winter?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Columbia through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Columbia outerwear, all opinions are my own.