Kale, quinoa, and chickpeas is a toasted match made in heaven. These Toasted Baby Kale and Quinoa Patties are super easy to make and don’t require any fancy kitchen equipment. They’re mixed up in one bowl, made into patties, then baked until crisp. It’s that simple. The flavors are a crunchy combination of quinoa, creamy mashed chickpeas, and savory tamari. Be careful though, you won’t be able to stop at one.
I used OrganicGirl‘s Baby Kale to make this vegan, gluten free recipe a pop while adding a boost of nutrients. You can use any of their greens varieties (or a mix of all of them!) to make this recipe a real winner. I love adding quinoa to patties instead of breadcrumbs to help the patties bind and give it a nice texture once baked. Quinoa is a complete protein, so it’ll help keep you full. Chickpeas are also a great source of protein and fiber, while kale is a nutrient powerhouse. You can’t go wrong on this one! If you don’t want to chop the ingredients by hand, feel free to lightly pulse in a food processor.
Like this recipe? Tweet it to your friends.
- 1 can chickpeas
- ¼ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups OrganicGIrl baby kale, chopped
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- ½-1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a bowl place the chickpeas and begin to mash with a fork. Add chopped onion, garlic, kale, and quinoa. Mix everything together until combined. Add lemon juice, tamari, and olive oil and mix again.
- Prepare a lightly oiled baking sheet and with your hands, scoop one handful of the mixture and form into a patty. Place on the baking sheet and continue until the mixture runs out. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip. Cook until top is toasted and lightly browned.