* This post is in partnership with the lovely Beautyrest Brand. All opinions and text are my own.
When is the last time you woke up jumping out of bed, feeling so energized that you couldn’t wait to start the day? How about the last time you woke up for work without having to set an alarm or incessantly pressing the snooze button? We’ve all been there, all 1/3 of Americans reported that they haven’t woken up feeling energized in the last 6 months!* Fall Daylight Savings time hit this weekend and we gained an extra hour on the clock. To celebrate, my friends at Beautyrest Brand challenged me to use this time as a kickstart to ditch the snooze button—it is so easy to take one hour a day to commit to taking on a healthier lifestyle, even if that means just one little switch in your routine. It could be anything from improving the mattress you sleep on to making these Energizing Vanilla Chai Pancakes for breakfast. I’d go for both. 😉
A restful sleep and a nourishing breakfast go hand in hand, like two peas in a pod. I couldn’t think of a more creative and delicious way to wake up than with my Vanilla Chai Pancakes straight from TheWholeTara app.
This was one of the first recipes I worked on for the app and I remember being so impressed by 1) how delicious they were and 2) how exciting it was to photograph.
The ingredients seem lengthy, but in actuality the whole recipe is easy to make and the majority of the ingredients are spices and natural flavors. The “love” addition to the cakes comes from the use of maca powder, known for its aphrodisiac properties. The pancakes have a rich nutty flavor and can also be made vegetarian instead of vegan. For non- vegans, use one egg in place of the ground flaxseed and water. Serve topped with maple syrup and banana slices.
While these pancakes will give you energy, they’re not a substitute for a good night’s sleep. People struggle with sleep for a variety of reasons, but we sometimes forget that it could be the mattress that’s keeping us from getting a good night’s rest. Opting for a quality mattress, like the Beautyrest Platinum Hybrid Mattress, will help ensure that once you fall asleep, you stay asleep. Couple a great sleep with a breakfast of champions and you’re setting yourself up for success!
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2.5 Tbsp water
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil, more for pan
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup GF flour, or flour of your choice
- 1 Tbsp maca
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil of your choice
- In a bowl, prepare the flax egg by whisking together ground flax and water. Add milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix the ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, maca, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, and salt.
- Create a crater in the dry ingredients bowl and pour in the wet ingredients. Very gently stir the batter leaving some lumps and making sure not to overstir, as it will cause the pancakes to come out tough.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes and spread a light layer of oil across the bottom. The pancakes should sizzle as they touch the pan.
- Place ¼ cup of pancakes on the skillet. Once it forms bubbles, about 2 minutes later, flip and cook for another minute until golden brown. Repeat until batter runs out. Serve pancakes with maple syrup and dusted cinnamon.