If you enjoy having a Greek Salad at a restaurant, wait until you make this authentic version on your own. It’s a delicious combination of fresh vegetables, a homemade dressing, and light addition of feta cheese. The cheese is totally optional and not necessary, but it does add a delicious flavor. Chickpeas or avocado are a good swap for the cheese.
There’s something about Mediterranean, especially Greek, food that always gets me. I’m not sure if it’s their simplicity when it comes to food or the balanced approach that they take in their diet. The Mediterranean diet consists of mostly plants, fruits, nuts and seeds with additions of dairy, fish, and meat more sparingly.
Olives are a large part of the diet in Greece, so with no exception I included California black ripe olives. Yes, in a Greek salad you would typically use kalamata olives, but I’m all for switching things up so why not use black instead? California black ripe olives are as good as they taste, and contain vitamin E, iron, vitamin A, and fiber. They are packaged at their peak to preserve nutrients for year-round enjoyment. California Ripe Olives are one of the most versatile items in the pantry. They are loved for their unique flavor, texture and color, but also can be part of a healthy diet. Click here to learn more.
Like this recipe? Tweet it to your friends.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 California Black Ripe Olives, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, wedged and halved
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup California Black Ripe Olives, whole and halved
- ¼ lb. feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- ⅓ cup parsley, chopped
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, olives, lemon juice, garlic, red wine vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper to make the dressing. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl place the romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, cheese, and parsley. Combine the salad and top with dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.