If you’re looking for the perfect dessert to serve guests, look no further. One of my favorite (and stunning!) healthy dessert recipes is this clean version of Dark Chocolate Glazed Marzipan Cookies. Marzipan is generally not the healthiest, especially if you’re trying to avoid high sugar and high fat sweets. I swapped the sugar for coconut sugar and in place of almonds, I used a combination of almond milk and almond flour. The result is just as good, if not better, and I even dipped them in dark chocolate and almond sprinkles!
And if you’re wondering exactly what marzipan is:
a sweet, yellowish paste of ground almonds, sugar, and egg whites, often colored and used to make small cakes or confections or as an icing for larger cakes.
a confection or cake made of or based on marzipan.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- ¼ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup almonds, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and almond extract until just combined.
- Roll the dough into balls and place on the baking sheet. Bake until the outside is beginning to brown and inside is still soft, or 25 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, heat a small sauce pan with almond milk and chocolate chips.
- Continue stirring until the chips have melted and a chocolate glaze forms.
- Once the cookies are cooled, dip them halfway into the glaze, then roll them into the sliced almonds to coat. Repeat until all cookies are coated.