You’ve been hearing about them for years already, but you’re not exactly sure about what they are. Sound familiar? Thought so! Antioxidants are super simple to understand when you break it down. Anti. Oxidation. Oxidation, a natural process in the body, produces free radicals and these free radicals in too high of concentrations can damage cells and lead to decreased immunity, increased risk of disease, and the potential for premature aging. Below are my top 3 reasons why you’re better off including them sooner rather than later (and exactly where to get them)!…
Did you hear the news? Apparently kale is bad for you now.
Don’t jump to conclusions yet though.
Kale is obviously not going to kill you or give you some weird disease, or else it wouldn’t have been dubbed the “it” food for the past year with a list of benefits longer than my to-do list. However, recently it has been under fire in various articles for its connection to hypothyroidism. …
Tea is one of those things we tell ourselves we are going to drink everyday and somehow it mysteriously falls off of the radar, or at least that’s what happens to me! Most of the time I have to remind myself how great it is and how great I feel after I drink it to actually make moves. Teas are so beneficial to our health and wellbeing, namely Matcha green tea. Matcha is the whole green tea leaf in powder form. So when you consume it, you consume the full leaf and all its nutritional benefits, not just what’s leftover in the water when you steep regular tea. Plus Matcha is like a healthy espresso shot of green tea, so you don’t have to commit to a whole glass! Ok so here goes the 4 reasons you need to step up your Matcha game.
1. Prevents Aging and Disease.
The extremely high antioxidant activity helps to protect the cells from oxidative damage.
2. Boosts Metabolism.
The EGCG catechin is known to boost metabolism and burn fat, without raising the blood pressure or promoting cortisol production (the fat storage hormone).
3. Detoxifies The Body.
Matcha is rich in chlorophyll, which delivers oxygen and nutrients to the cells while eliminating chemicals and heavy metals from the body.
4. Improves Concentration and Brain Function.
The amino acid L-Theanine present in Matcha reduces anxiety, promotes memory focus, and enhances overall mood. No wonder Buddhist Monks loaded up on Matcha pre-meditation!
I love my Matcha post-yoga or pre-workout. It’s super easy to incorporate and only takes about 1 minute to prepare. This is a win-win.
And one last fact that blows my mind:
Just ONE serving of Matcha Powder = 10 cups of Green Tea
*P.S. Matcha Green Tea is totally APPROVED on my 5-Day Detox. Get access here!
Have you ever tried Matcha green tea?
Yay it’s my first recipe as TheWholeTara!!! I’m beyond excited to share a ton of incredible recipes with you. I wanted to start on a really healthy foot with one of my favorite green juices, Green Love. It goes down smooth, isn’t intimidating, and tastes plain old delicious.
If there is any type of shot I do recommend it’s wheatgrass shots.
Wheatgrass shots are usually taken in 1 or 2 oz. servings and have a ton of incredible benefits. Wheatgrass is one of nature’s original “superfoods”. Just a 2 oz. shot is equivalent to 5.5 lbs of leafy green vegetables, so there is no need to weigh down with a salad when you can just chug a shot! Among thousands of reasons you should make wheatgrass a habit, I’ve listed 8 of the best ones below, including weight loss and even anti-aging.
Lemon water, warm or cooled, can be one of the most rewarding things you do for your body every morning. Among brushing your teeth and getting dressed, this morning detox ritual is one you definitely don’t want to leave behind.
Why is lemon water so good for you?
- Detoxifying Cure- Lemon is a natural antiseptic and helps the liver by flushing the toxins and bacteria out of your body. The high amounts of Vitamin C in the lemon act as a potent antioxidant to clean out the system, especially when taken on an empty stomach….
Having a healthy heart is the key to life, literally! Whether you want to prevent cardiovascular issues in the future or you want to reverse any heart condition you may already have, follow my guide to the essentials of a healthy heart and a healthy life.
1. Nuts– Almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, you name it! Always aim for RAW! No more than a handful a day, nuts are filled with monounsaturated fats, which allow the movement of plaque from your arteries preventing heart attacks. Go to Whole Foods (or your natural supermarket) and make your own trail mix, I like to throw in some goji berries and cranberries for added enjoyment ☺
I’m sure by now you have heard of the most popular grain of the year, quinoa (pronounced keen-wa)! Contrary to popular belief quinoa is actually a seed, with a ton of benefits for your waistline and wallet!
Low in calories and fat
Absorbs flavor perfectly
Rich in Fiber, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron, and more…
1. Keep your blood sugar in check– It’s always the days that you skip a meal that your cravings start soaring right? This means making sure you are eating breakfast at least two hours within waking up and having small meals throughout the day.
2. Aim for nutrient-dense foods– Try to abstain from high-fat foods and bad sugars for at least 2 weeks. After 2 weeks your body becomes assimilated to new habits, guaranteeing you’ll make better choices. Fatty, greasy foods affect the heroine and morphine centers of the brain actually making you addicted!
What does Organic mean?
Many people are under the impression that organic means that there is something good added to the foods to make them “better”, but organic actually means not adding anything to keep the food aspure as possible. Organic foods are free of pesticides, fertilizers, GMOs, and hormones. When you think about it, it makes sense. Why should your vegetables be coated with a chemical fertilizer? They shouldn’t! However, not all fruits and vegetables need to be bought organic. Fruits like watermelon and pineapple are safe because of their thick rinds, which makes it difficult for the pesticides to penetrate.
Check the list below for the list of foods you need to buy organic.