Life with less screen time (and time to compare) sponsored by Truvia.
I’m talking about disconnecting from the online and television world today –living a life with less and coincidentally sharing a really good popcorn recipe. I guess the good news is that you don’t always need a movie or distraction present to enjoy popcorn. In fact, it goes over much better without one.
I want to know what it would take for you to leave Facebook, Instagram, and reality TV behind for just one day?
If you said nearly impossible, then you’re definitely not alone. I, too, used to find it difficult to unplug from scrolling through everyone else’s “perfect” lives while sitting at home on my all too familiar couch. In total honesty, I’ve really struggled with comparing myself to big social media stars and reality TV celebrities. I used to set such a high standard for myself, without even taking into account that the majority of the photos I was admiring were photoshopped constructions. I was setting myself up for disaster every time I engaged in comparisons. Not only was I wasting time, but I was also taking away time that I could’ve been spending with loved ones.
I decided to give completely disconnecting a shot. I would experience life with less screen time and leave social media and all television behind for one full day. It might not seem like a lot, but in a society that’s so driven by social media and distractions, one day is a good place to start. In this short day I realized 1) how much time social media takes away from us, 2) how much we depend on it, and 3) how rewarding life is when we’re present and able to connect with real people (or puppies!).
My social media day off inspired me to simplify my life in other ways, too. I wanted something to munch on throughout the day, so what better than sweet popcorn?! To carry on the “life with less” theme of my day, I created a streamlined recipe that used fewer ingredients than some popcorn recipes I’ve created in the past. And to save on the added sugar, I used Truvia Brown Sugar Blend to sweeten the caramel popcorn sauce. It’s actually a mix of brown sugar and Truvia Natural Sweetener (with 75% fewer calories per serving than brown sugar), which gives it a texture really similar to brown sugar. I use this blend in place of regular brown sugar in a bunch of my recipes, so I figured why not use it for popcorn, too? I ended up enjoying it with Mika just because she was so adamant on having some too, and I couldn’t help looking at her sad I-want-people-food puppy dog face.
- ½ cup unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter/coconut oil. Mix in the sugar and increase heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir constantly for 5 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the vanilla, corn syrup, baking soda, and salt. Mix until it forms a thick, glossy texture.
- Place the popcorn in a large container and pour caramel sauce over it. You can mix it up vigorously to get the full caramel flavor, or leave it drizzled over. You can also spread it out in the oven on a baking sheet at 200F and allow it to heat up for one hour. This part is up to you, both are delicious!