Prior to making this recipe I had never baked banana bread before, or any bread for that matter. I was pretty nervous about whipping up this first batch, but wow was I surprised. I knew I was doing something right when my kitchen started to smell like a gourmet bakery 15 minutes in. Making banana bread is beyond easy and comes out pretty perfect every time. While this may not be the healthiest thing to nosh on day in and day out, it is a great treat to share with friends and bring to family gatherings. I’m sharing this classic, moist banana bread recipe with you, step-by-step, with a bit of a healthier twist. There’s no secret to it and you can switch up a few ingredients here and there and it will still come out seamless, so here goes…
Always choose bananas that are on the verge of being too brown to consume and mash them well.
Toast the nuts prior by adding them to a pan, like so, and drizzling oil over them. Let them toast in the preheating oven for about 10-15 minutes.
Place the well-greased pan in the oven for banana bread success!
- 3 ripe Bananas
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (or sub for whole-wheat)
- 1 Egg
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½-1 cup Walnuts, toasted
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and take out a 5x9 in loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, peel the bananas and mash them well with a fork. Add the sugar, nuts, and egg to the bowl and mix. Stir in the butter and mix everything until it's smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Combine with the wet ingredients and mix everything together. Be careful not to over mix here, just stir until you don't see the flour anymore.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. You should be able to insert a knife inside and see it come out crisp and clean!
- Let the bread cool for 5 minutes and serve warm topped with sliced banana, or even banana ice cream!
Are you going to try this banana bread? Can’t wait to hear what you think!