Cookbooks and breakfast are two of my favorite things. I have a countless number of cookbooks laying around my humble abode in NYC, but this specific recipe from the Two Moms In The Raw cookbook caught my eye. Everyone’s always looking for something new for breakfast and I think I may have just found the new thing. This is one of the author’s most popular (and beautiful!) breakfast recipes, Beet Shakshuka.
Shakshuka, pronounced “shock-shoo-ka“, is a traditional middle eastern dish of poached, runny eggs in a tomato, onion, and chili pepper sauce dressed with spices. If you’re an egg and tomato kind of person, then you’ll definitely be into this dish. You can make it for one or six people, but I opted for just one yolk and one white for an individual portion.
This recipe is a little different than your typical shakshuka because it adds beets for extra flavor, nutrition, and texture. Beets are a great source of fiber, potassium, and beta-carotene (vision health!), while helping to naturally detox the body through the liver. You don’t even have to roast the beets first, so it lessens the cooking time and you’re retaining most of the nutrients.
You can pre-order TWO MOMS IN THE RAW: Simple, Clean, Irresistible Recipes for Your Family’s Health NOW! Click here for more info or find it in stores on May 5, 2015.
- 2 pounds assorted beets, such as red, yellow, and Chioggia—whatever you have— including the greens
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch scallions, whites and greens separated, thinly sliced
- 1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Separate the tops from the beets and rinse and dry the beets and greens. Thinly slice the beet greens to yield 1½ cups and set aside; reserve the remaining greens for another use. Peel and cut the beets into ½-inch cubes.
- In a heavy, ovenproof 10- or 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and scallion whites and cook until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the beet greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the beets and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook until the tomatoes release their liquid and the liquid is mostly reabsorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Using a spoon, create 4 to 6 wells in the beet mixture and crack an egg into each well. Cook for 2 minutes, then transfer to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with the remaining ½ cup beet greens and the scallion greens. Serve straight from the skillet.
Recipes and Photography from TWO MOMS IN THE RAW by Shari Koolik Leidich. Copyright © 2015 by Shari Koolik Leidich. Used bypermission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.